Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fear of the Unknown - Dun, Dun, Dun!

I am a scaredy cat.


I'm afraid of everything. It is super annoying. Even things I don't want to be afraid of and try not be afraid of, plague me. I'm afraid of dying. I'm afraid of close family and friends dying. I'm afraid of having my heart broken. I'm afraid of pillows over my face. I'm afraid of getting hurt. I'm afraid of judgment day. I'm afraid of quitting. I'm afraid of flying. I'm afraid I won't get the opportunity to experience certain things in life. I am a wimp. That's all there is to it.


Why do we constantly live in fear? All of us. We are all afraid of one thing or another. I might be a total weirdo because I am afraid of so many things.


Lately I've been thinking about all the reasons why I fear these things and ways to overcome them. I really think that, for me at least, I am afraid of the unknown.  I'm not sure how Heaven will be if I die; I don't know how I would cope with someone close to me passing away; I know what a broken heart feels like and I am so afraid of it happening again because, quite frankly, it sucks - not just in the romantical sense of the phrase...I don't know how I will feel when I can't breath because of the pillow; I don't know how I will feel if I break a bone; I don't know what will happen to me on judgment day; I don't know how my employer will take it if I quit; I'm not sure what will happen if I fall out of the sky in an airplane; I don't know the "what if" of an opportunity if I don't take it or miss out on it for one reason or another. 


We facebook, twitter, and blog stalk people just to be "in the know". We thrive to know what's going to happen next. God didn't put us on this earth to be comfortable. Things will always change. We will always have to face a fear of some sort. We will never know what is going to happen in the next 5 minutes, 5 months, or 5 years.


I found a great website that listed some amazing Bible verses that address fear, specifically, and they gave me a lot of hope and new found peace in the unknown.  Faith is one of a few options to overcome fear. I'm not a "get over it" type of person - so - I find ways AROUND it....like reading Bible verses that give me warm fuzzies and allow me to feel safe, even if just for a moment. I hope you find comfort in the unknown. It's a struggle. Imagine how boring life would be if we knew what was going to happen next. Try taking a leap of FAITH - literally - see what happens....I guarantee you won't fall on your face.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)

For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13)

Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.  The Egyptians you see today you will never see again." (Exodus 14:13)

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7)

The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God." (Luke 1:30)

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people." (Luke 2:10)

So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can Man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:6)

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)

Do not be afraid - Me

No comments: