Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Evils of Social Media

I googled that exact phrase. Some articles I found defended social media and some ripped any type of credibility to shreds. All I can say is what I feel. You might thoroughly disagree.
Blogging is a type of social media. It is a way to interact indirectly or sometimes directly, with others. There are controls which allow us to limit who can view posts, add their comments, or share a link. Facebook is another, as well as Twitter and LinkedIn and Pinterest and Myspace and goodness knows what else is out there (that I am A-okay with not knowing about).  It can be overwhelming. That’s what I’ve found I’ve been feeling lately, toward social media and networking specifically, overwhelmed.  It is like an emotional rollercoaster – sometimes you are so excited to read about something or hear good news and other times you might find yourself jealous, envious, and cynical. That’s arduous.
So for November, I’ve taken a break from Facebook. I have to admit … I slipped up while in Denver and “checked-in” at the H&M store. But! I am very proud to say I have not browsed around, stalked, or had a single rollercoaster emotion for several days – at least in regard to Facebook. I’m a girl. Rollercoasters, unfortunately, are natural phenomena in everyday life. Hence the reason I am trying to lessen the amount of up’s and down’s in my day!
I am sad to report that I have turned to Pinterest to fulfill my sad addiction that is perusing the endless depths of a social media sight…However, I will now be giving that up as well. Pinterest is just as addicting and overwhelming as Facebook. At first I didn’t think it was. At first I thought it was just people being carefree and posting pictures of things they like or enjoy. At first I viewed it as an outlet for self expression. Then it happened. I started seeing people post pictures of how they hoped to look one day, recipes for all foods “skinny”, pin boards titled “one of these days…” for the girls longing to find Mr. Right, DIY trends that only few people can really pull off, family and baby photographs, etc.
It hit me today. I need to stop looking at these things. They make me long for things, contribute to my fears, and leave me feeling hopeless and empty. The only ones I like to see are the inspirational quotes that help me get through the day or someecards (someecards.com) that make me laugh even when I don’t want to.
Here is to not succumbing to social media pressures to be a certain way, want a certain thing, and envy others. Here is to counting my blessing. Here is to taking it one day at a time. Letting go and letting God. Social media shadows my life too much and inhibits my ability to bear the fruit of the spirit.

No comments: