Monday, November 7, 2011

#3 Online Shopping Inspiration {Series} - Final


Preface (from the 1st post and 2nd post in the series)- Do you ever see things hung up in someone’s home and you wonder if they even know what it says? If it has any meaning to them or not? Maybe you don’t, but I do. As I was shopping online the other day I ran across these little poster, hanging, canvas print decoration things and began to think about what each one said and meant to me, not that I would readily hang them up all over my apartment or anything.  I will post one a day until I run out of things to say about them. I have to limit it to one [or two!]  a day so I don’t bore you with my chatter:

Do you catch yourself being cynical? Defensive? Contemptuous? How about slightly jaded from past experiences? Do you hold grudges? Is forgiveness hard? When people tell you to “let it go” do you want to punch them? Maybe not that dramatic, I know, but we all feel this way sometimes. If you don’t, just close your browser window and walk away, go see a counselor, because you’re in denial. (kidding)
“Change your thoughts and you’ll change the world”
YOUR thoughts, not someone else’s. You WILL change the world. I am guilty of assuming the person on the street corner is an alcoholic or druggie. I read a friend’s blog that talked about how her and her husband befriended a homeless couple (read about it here) and it really convicted me. Not all things are as they appear. Not all governmental figures are bad. Not all evangelists are in it for the money. Not all house wives are spoiled rotten. Not all clearance items at the mall are great deals. Changing the way we think, changes the way we interact with others, encourages and inspires positivity, and thus, can possibly change the world at a miniscule level or gargantuan level. The next poster, wall hanging, décor item is an excellent embellishment and compliment to this one; in other words, it completes my thought.
  

The other morning I performed a random act of kindness.
I was really early to work. Hungry, I decided to make a drive-thru run (VERY out of the ordinary for me) but I couldn’t help but think how good an egg and cheese taco sounded! I think I felt bad going through the drive through, first of all, and then realized I should probably bring some for my office. I would like to consider myself the taco fairy.
Yes, it was only tacos – but do you know how many “thank you’s” I received? Sometimes a taco goes a long way. I’m not a saint, just a taco fairy!
I remember in elementary school they were always talking about random acts of kindness. I couldn’t agree more, with the importance and effect said acts can have on a person, a family, a life, a city, a country, our world. Just like big gifts come in small packages, small acts can have a far-reaching, profound, and contagious effect on our lives. Movies like Babel and Crash always make me realize how we are all connected in some way. Surely you’ve received an act of kindness within the past week, pay it forward today. Set a goal – perform one act a week, then bump it up to twice a week, then maybe small acts every day.
See how you feel. Keep the cycle going. Change the world.

No comments: