Thursday, November 3, 2011

#2 Online Shopping Inspiration {Series}

Preface (from the 1st post in the series)- Do you ever see things hung up in someone’s home and you wonder if they even know what it says? If it has any meaning to them or not? Maybe you don’t, but I do. As I was shopping online the other day I ran across these little poster, hanging, canvas print decoration things and began to think about what each one said and meant to me, not that I would readily hang them up all over my apartment or anything.  I will post one a day until I run out of things to say about them. I have to limit it to one [or two!]  a day so I don’t bore you with my chatter:

“You are here, be present” - This speaks volumes to modern day society. I can’t even say “this generation” or “American society” because it is addressing everyone. To the students trying to do homework at Starbucks, distracted by Facebook and iTunes downloading, to the stay at home moms, grandparents, etc.  who can’t get off their iPhone apps (words with friends, for example), to the twenty-something striving to be a professional by today’s standards, we are all somewhere else most of the time. Yes, I’ve been in situations where someone, older than I am, told a coworker and friend that having an iPhone or smart phone was necessary to the advancement of their career; this ‘boss’ also said  having emails sent to it was a way to measure professionalism and one’s  drive to move up in a firm. Seriously???? This friend of mine, at the time, hardly even knew how to answer a cell phone!
Yes, I know, I’m one to talk. Counting down the days to when I will get my new iPhone 4S in the mail, I have no right to speak. However, how many times do you think about walking away from the person you’re trying to have a conversation with, you know, the one who hardly looks up from their ‘smart’ device to truly understand you or hear you?  Have you ever thought about telling someone, “you’re here, be present”?  Sounds harsh but maybe we need to do that sometimes.
Note to friends/family - I am really digging a hole here, aren’t I?
Turn off the world around you, or at least let it go for a few hours a day. Don’t tell the world what you’re doing via Facebook. Don't pull a Kardashian move and make your entire life public - you don't HAVE to. Don’t answer every call because each one is not SO IMPORTANT that your life depends on it. Answer your text messages after dinner. Let your work emails rack up – the hours of 8-5 are there for a reason. Everything in moderation – that doesn’t just go for food. Generate, foster, cultivate real, authentic relationships…and just be still.

No comments: