Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Recipes, Rants, and Raves

I think that is the title of a friend’s blog – or maybe her “tag line” – so technical. Sorry if it is!

So first up – recipes. My mom has asked for two recipes and I just do not know what to tell her…because, well, quite frankly I do what I want. As is my motto most of the time. I know it shouldn’t be, but anyways… here are two “recipes” for you:

Crockpot tortilla soup

Throw in a crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours:

The following cans of things:
-          Tomato sauce
-          Crushed tomatoes - 2
-          Diced tomatoes with green chilis
-          Enchilada sauce – 2
-          Corn - 2

Chop and/or sprinkle the following
-          Onion
-          Garlic
-          Taco seasoning – 1 packet
-          Red pepper flakes – uh make sure the container has the thing with the holes in it or you will be fishing out red pepper flakes like I was!!! Then adding milk, vinegar, and baking soda to calm down the HEAT!!!
-          Chili powder
-          Cumin

Throw in some frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breasts and a little bit of chicken broth and let it cook! (Shred the chicken with a fork when it’s done) so tasty and feeds a million people! (Not a million)

Next on the recipe list – stuffed bell peppers

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Half a can of corn
Small onion chopped
Garlic – generous amount
Colby Jack or Chedder cheese – same as above
Little bit of water
I would guess I added the following…
2 teaspoons each of chili powder, paprika, and cumin
A shake of red pepper flakes (or less)
2 bell peppers for stuffing (I used green, but would use red next time)

Sauté onion and garlic in medium saucepan
Meanwhile add beans, corn, water, spices, flakes, and a few pinches of cheese
Add all that to the onion and garlic
Let simmer for 15 minutes
While that simmers put the bell peppers (after you cut them and cleaned out the insides) in the oven to cook at 400 degrees. I left mine in about 10 mins so they could have been in there for 15 minutes
Remove bell peppers and add the mixture to the insides, top with cheese and broil for 2-3 mins

All done.

Rant time….

I have nothing to rant about. Except I hate how clumsy I am. No need to call myself out – but the less accidents, the better…. As long as I’m not wrecking my car, we are good. Oh and this whole getting sick when eating certain things. Better not be gallstones or my grandma and mom will be saying “told you so”.

Oh – and people who are ignorant. Someone tried to say the Kony 2012 thing was a hoax. Get real. No one is asking for your money. Getting the word out is more than enough. I think its funny this person posts pictures of TOMS they have purchased. Those things AIN’T cheap. I love my TOMS and my niece will love her two pair too! We all choose to tithe and give back in different ways, to different organizations, and different ministries. So that brings me to my next point….

Rave time…

Kony 2012 – make the invisible, visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

EAT GOOD FOOD, SPREAD THE GOOD WORD

No comments: