Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Recipe: Pico Cauli Rice and Chicken

During my kids birthday party weekend, we had a lot of family in town and had to find a way to feed 20+ people. My Aunt, who is a rockstar clean eater, offered to make mexican "cauli" rice for our fajita dinner. I wasn't going to object because 1. I'm a super-fan and clean eating and 2. a lot of our family members are gluten free and 3. did I mention there were more than 20 of us!? 

I finally got around to making this and turned it into a one-pot-wonder. We had grilled chicken two days before that was either going to go bad or going to bad and I needed to think of something to pair it with STAT. Insert "new year, new you" references for healthy and clean eating. 

This was ready in like 15 minutes, tops. Super easy!


  • Store prepared pico de gallo from my beloved HEB
  • 1-2 bags frozen cauliflower rice 
  • Couple slices of butter
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Cubed left over grilled chicken breast (we had the preseasoned kind from HEB)
  • Avocado (optional)
  • Lime (optional)



Heat the butter and saute the pico for a few minutes and until it becomes fragrant and the onions are almost translucent (they will continue to heat). Add the frozen cauliflower rice - I used two bags of birds eye brand. I liked my aunt's better - she riced an actual head of cauliflower and it cooked down better. The frozen bags are a little coarse for my taste but again - super fast and super easy! Cook to your preference, stiring occasionally. You can even add a cover to "steam" everything, too. While this was cooking I chopped the chicken that was left over. Add the chicken and salt and pepper to taste - heat until chicken is warmed. I topped ours with a little squeeze of lime and avocado! We ate it with Siete almond flour chips - so good! 

Thanks to my Aunt for the super easy recipe - healthy doesn't have to be hard or laborious! Enjoy!!! 

No comments: